- Kathleen Harris, Ph. D.
- Melissa Tamburrino, Ed.D.
- Matthew Vogel, Ph.D.
The Master of Arts in Special Education is designed to enhance the teaching skills necessary to provide quality education for all students in today’s classroom. Theory and skills are presented to help teachers address the educational needs of children and youth who have a variety of intellectual and/or physical disabilities. The curriculum meets the standards for special education dictated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for certification. Program content and pedagogy are intended to provide comprehensive training for teachers of exceptional children. Upon completion of the master’s program, teachers will be able to serve as master teachers and will be prepared to serve as curriculum specialists and in-service professionals.
To be eligible to add the special education certification (Pre-K - Grade 12), the student must hold a current PA teaching certification. For PA certification, in addition to the listed coursework for the Master of Arts degree, the student must pass the required PECT Modules 1 and 2.
- to develop the concepts and skills necessary to analyze and conduct research in special education
- to expose teachers to contemporary issues in special education through the use of educational technology
- to enable teachers to conduct diagnostic assessment and design and implement instructional strategies for exceptional children
- to prepare teachers to participate effectively in parent and family conferencing for exceptional children
- to expose teachers to the current educational philosophies of effective management of students with behavioral disorders in the classroom
- to prepare teachers to effectively provide educational development for students with exceptional needs
The Master of Arts in Special Education Program is designed for those working with individuals with intellectual, behavioral, and physical/health disabilities.
If you are seeking a Pennsylvania Pre-K - Grade12 Special Education Teacher Certification with an M.A., you must also:
- have maintained a minimum of 3.0 GPA while earning an undergraduate degree
- hold a Pennsylvania teaching certificate in one of the following areas: N-3; K-6; Pre K-4; 4-8; K-12; reading specialist